Friday, July 27, 2012

Random Shit: A Grab Bag of Miscellanea to Get You through the Weekend


Between periodically patting myself on the back for actually getting this blog up and running, I spent much of last night brainstorming a list of the topics I want to tackle in this blog over the next few weeks. Believe me when I say there’s a ton of them.

That said, as much as I want to dive in and pontificate about my love of The Dark Knight Rises, Daredevil, Scott Snyder’s Batman or the potential of creator-owned Grant Morrison comics – just to name a few of the posts coming down the pipeline – I figured I’d hold off on anything too in-depth until after the weekend. For now, here’s a couple links that’ll give you a better idea of who I am, what I like and how I think about comics:



The first is an interview I did a couple years back with Ronny Carlton of Iconoclastically Bombastic, a blog he runs about comics, sports, entertainment and everything else he’s interested in. Ronny has been one of my biggest supporters over the years, not to mention one of the many people urging me to get back into the comics punditry game ever since I left. Spurred on by Ronny’s questions, I was able to outline a lot of my thoughts on the comics medium and industry in this interview. Check it out here: Ten Questions With Dan Phillips

The next link is a piece I did for IGN in which I write about getting others into comics, a tricky prospect us funny-book fanatics wrestle with often. I’m pretty proud of it, and like the above interview, I think it gives a good lowdown on my general opinions about the comics medium. With any luck, it also might just help you figure out how to hook a friend into this addicting habit of ours. This is a topic I will be revisiting often on this site. Getting Others Started on Comics

Finally, I’d like to leave you with a promise: not only will I spend next week delivering far more than just a few regurgitated links; I’ll also put my money where my mouth is and share with you some of the original comics work I’ve done with Tom Travers. After critiquing the shit out of other people’s comics work for so long, it’s long past time I bucked up and showed some of my own original work. As soon as Tom and I either figure out how to post a PDF onto this site or hunt down the original JPG files of the pages, I’ll dump it right here for you to read. Stay tuned.

That’s it for now. Have a good weekend, and try not to behave yourself too much.

No comments: